Sunday 21 October 2018

SELWG 2018

Rafael, Mike and I hit the road this morning to attend SELWG over at Crystal Palace, partly to show support to some of our Essex Warriors who were putting on a demo game.

I have not been for a couple of years so was interested to see if it had changed.  The entry price certainly had - I thought £7 to get in was a bit steep and I guess the fees paid by traders must have risen too as some expected faces were not there.

Talking of faces, I was pleased to catch up with several wargamers I had not seen for some time, especially gamers I have had the pleasure of meeting on the odd occasion down at the Wargames Holiday Centre near Basingstoke. We have all enjoyed those days being hosted by Mark Freeth, so plenty of reminiscing !

Unusually for late October, it was bright, sunny and warm so the Sports Centre was well lit which always helps

First game which we came upon was a Society of Ancients one which looked good fun

Here's another with the Roman cohorts on the move

An impressive Middle Earth battle going on here

Just like watching the films !

The ever friendly Simon Miller had an impressive English Civil War battle going on

The Battle of Soggy Bottom

No apologies for taking several pics of this - love these dragoon horse holders !

all the units are beautifully painted

with Simon's distinctive basing idea to blend in with the terrain mat

each unit had a descriptive label - I always like to know which regiment they are

and the standards are so eye-catching too

plenty of cavalry too


We are playing "King & Parliament" at the club next month so it was good to see this - I know Martin was staying to have a game in the afternoon so we are relying on him being the expert when we play !

Lovely command stands





Grand Manner buildings here I believe

a Garibaldi campaign battle

I had to include this for my friend Andrew

I got in big trouble for not photographing this at previous shows !

Here's the story behind the entry

and so to Essex Warriors participation game

hopefully, they had a good day at Crystal Palace

Gravesend Gamers brought along their early war Chain of Command game seen recently at A Little Bit of Lard - this was its last outing, to be replaced with another no doubt outstanding game next year. Congratulations on the wonderful scenery.


An unusual subject in 20mm by Deal Wargames Club, Sino-Japanese conflict in WWII, fought using Rapid Fire! rules 

lovely aircraft

at Yangmingbao Airfield, October 1937


Then home - even though it appeared we were approaching a herd of elephant at one point of the journey !!!
  
Thats SELWG for another year, folks. 

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed myself today, shame I missed you though Steve, looks like you had fun though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning eye candy there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.