Friday 5 October 2012

Landguard Fort, Felixstowe.

 
I found myself in Felixstowe on business yesterday and decided to visit the above before I departed this morning.
 
I had no idea that the Dutch had launched an attack here back in 1667 and actually landed troops to attack the fort - a wargaming scenario is brewing in my head !
 
 Main entrance
 

 Internal entrance
 
 
Internal view
 
 
A fort has existed here for over 420 years with many additions and alterations right up to the 1950s.
 
 
View of the main gate from inside.
 
 
Reproduction of a 12.5 inch RML gun.  The real thing would have weighed 38 tons !
 
Unfortunately, this was the only big gun to be seen.
 
A spectacular location, nevertheless.

1 comment:

  1. Great shot of the RML even if it is only a reproduction.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.